Listening to music is great for brain development since both sides of the brain are active in processing music. is helps to form the corpus callosum - which connects the two sides of the brain. Studies also show that listening to music is beneficial for the development of balance, logic, math, reasoning and problem-solving skills. Babies are born with very good hearing and can even hear in utero.
Tips for hearing development:
- Read to your baby; encourage him to look at the pictures and help you turn the pages.
- Provide as much music with varying sounds, pitches and rhythm as you can.
- Studies show that babies prefer mother’s voice to any other sound. Calm baby by talking to him.
- Sing to your baby as much as possible.
- Help baby link two senses together by associating sound and vision. Allow baby to play with toys that also make noise,such as rattles and musical instruments.
- Talk to baby often so that they learn to process language and begin to understand the flow of a conversation.
NEXT: Taste and Smell>