Hundreds of thousands of nerve receptors are under baby’s skin processing light touch, deep touch, moisture, temperature and movement. It is important to give baby lots of opportunities to process all of these different feelings through their skin.
Tips for touch awareness:
- Baby massage is the best thing to help baby process touch, pressure, and body awareness.
- Swaddle baby in a blanket for neutral warmth and calming effect to baby’s entire system.
- Rub lotion on baby while naming her body parts.
- Trickle water over baby’s body in the bath while encouraging them to look at that body part.
- Wrist and bootie rattles are great for body awareness
- Position baby on his side or tummy so he can bring his hands together.
NEXT: Movement / Motor Skills>